Career Level Others
Experience 3 Years
The Africa Psychosocial Support Institute (APSSI) is a non-profit company based in South Africa and a subsidiary of the Regional Psychosocial Support Initiative (REPSSI). APSSI was launched in 2017 to foster PROFESSIONALISM and EXCELLENCE in the provision of child & youth Mental Health and Psychosocial care and support (MHPSS) policies and services through:
- delivering quality, accredited PSS education
- developing contextual PSS knowledge
- publishing evidence-informed culture-responsive resources
APSSI implements a hybrid (non-profit and for profit) business model consisting of two overlapping, complementary business channels which can be categorised into (1) Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Consultancy Services & Product Sales; and (2) Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Education.
The two APSSI business channels are driven by the principle of social value creation within the MHPSS field. APSSI pursues social value creation throughout the global community, from an Afrocentric perspective. It purposes to expand accessibility to effective, innovative professional and lay Mental Health and Psychosocial Support competence.
Since its inception, APSSI has received corporate services support and strategic backstopping from its parent company REPSSI. Within the last 6 months, APSSI has intensified efforts to successfully transition to an autonomous, credible entity, and one that is respected within Africa’s academic community. To this end, its Board of Directors has appointed an Executive Director whose initial target is developing the APSSI 5-year strategic plan (2021-2025). The APSSI 2021-2025 strategic plan will articulate goals and strategies set by management to operate the entity in a gainful way. Simultaneously, APSSI will also undertake to develop and implement robust business systems, company policies and procedures. The policies and procedures will assist the APSSI team operate in alignment with the APSSI strategic plan.
We seek to appoint a reputable service provider to support and lead APSSI in improving its internal and external functioning, relationships and reputation as a credible Psychosocial Support institute in Africa. The latter is to be achieved through identifying, developing and instituting relevant policies, procedures, APSSI organisational structure (including job functions and workflow systems) and control mechanisms. The successful service provider is expected to deliver products and outcomes to support the successful implementation of APSSI’s Strategic Plan 2021-2025 and comply with the relevant business and human resources legislation; the Company’s Act and all other legislation deemed appropriate.
- OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the guidance of the APSSI Executive Director, the service provider will work with APSSI Management, to evaluate APSSI organizational development operating, functional and business channel requirements. Thereafter, the consultant will lead the design, development and implementation of policies, procedures, APSSI organisational structure (including job functions and workflow systems) and control mechanisms to meet the identified needs and strategic goals. The nature and scope of work to be undertaken includes but not limited to:
- Confirmation of the conceptualised Business Model,
- Review and redesign of the current fluid structure,
- Development of Job profiles and conducting Job evaluations using the best fit job grading system.
- Conducting a snapshot Skills Audit as a basis for migration and appropriate placement of staff from REPSSI if required, and advice on a formal process in managing employee placement,
- Develop a “Competency Framework” that will identify core and non-core competencies based on APSSI’s business channels,
- Open Consultation and communication process throughout the project. .
- RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SERVICE PROVIDER
The successful service provider will:
- Carry out a desk review of documents relevant to understanding the mandate, legal framework, work and context of APSSI.
- Develop an understanding of the business context within which APSSI operates, including participating in relevant Strategic Plan 2021-2025 development activities.
- Engage with Management Teams to facilitate a common understanding and approach to the assignment (build consensus).
- Facilitate workshops with APSSI Management, and other stakeholders identified by the Executive Director, to identify critical policies, draft an organisational structure and brainstorm procedures and systems for effective operations.
- Draft workflow systems, job functions and policies.
- APSSI organisational structure with clear job functions and workflow systems
- Documented policies and procedures manual, including templates for implementation (e.g. Transition plan, job descriptions, employee contracts, grievance procedures, mental health support request, etc.) and employee handbook.
09 December 2020: Inception Report (20% of contract amount)
This report must:
- Include a plan and methodology for the assignment
- Recommend attainable options for APSSI
- Incorporate APSSI management feedback to preceding draft.
- 07 February 2021: Draft organizational Structure, workflow systems, policies and procedures for Management review (50%)
Drafts should be at an advanced stage of completion and reflect all elements articulated in the terms of reference and in the final inception report signed off by the Executive Director.
- 07 March 2021: Documented policies and procedures manual (30%)
Documented policies and procedures manual has incorporated management feedback and includes templates for implementation and employee handbook.
- DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
A service provider will be appointed by the 30th November 2020. The assignment is estimated at a maximum of 35 person days; to be carried out from the 1st December 2020 to 07 March 2021 with submission of the final deliverable.
- SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Appropriate qualifications and profile of the consultant(s): Degree in human resource management, business administration, labour law project management, industrial psychology or related field
- 3-5 years proven experience within an organisational development professional space, developing company policies, procedures and workflow systems
- Change management experience
- Working knowledge of legal statutes pertaining to business establishment and gainful operations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, facilitate meetings and analyse needs.
- Solution-focused thinking
Interested AND qualified service providers are invited to submit expressions of interest to [email protected] before 27 November 2020. Expressions of interest must include a brief profile (3 pages or less), a cover letter, 2 references for similar work completed in the past 12 months, availability and consultancy rates. Only shortlisted service providers will be contacted.