Career Level Manager
Experience 8 Years +
Qualifications Master’s Degree
The Southern African Development Community, with the support of the European Union and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, implements the Programme “Strengthening the National-Regional Linkages in SADC” (SNRL) in SADC. The programme contributes to the acceleration of progress towards the implementation of the SADC regional integration. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH as a lead implementation agency for the SNRL Programme, therefore, invites suitably qualified, experienced, innovative individuals to apply for the position:
PROGRAMME OFFICER – POLICY AND LEGAL FRAMEWORKS
Job Title : Programme Officer – Policy and Legal Frameworks
Job Category : Professional, Band 4
Location : Gaborone, Botswana
Project : GIZ “Strengthening the National-Regional Linkages in SADC” programme
Duration : start 01.10.2020 until 30.11.2021
SADC with the support of European Union (EU) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) implements the Programme Strengthening National Regional Linkages (SNRL) in SADC. This partnership programme seeks to contribute to the acceleration of progress towards the implementation of the SADC regional integration agenda by strengthening the capacity of SADC Member States’ structures. This is done with the view that strengthened capacities of the Member States structures will enhance, facilitation and coordination of the implementation of the regional integration agenda at country level. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ) is the lead implementation agency for the SNRL Programme and its main operational partners and recipients are the national coordinating structures and other relevant stakeholders in different SADC Member States. In order to overcome some of the key challenges to the implementation of the SADC regional integration agenda, SNRL provides SADC Member States with advice and expertise based on identified needs and expressed demands of each participating country. Focus will predominantly be on achieving sustainable structural improvements in the respective national coordination structures.
Given the magnitude of the existing difficulties and the diversity as well as geographic dispersion of the SADC Member States, a full-time, long-term team combining technical, methodological, financial and administrative expertise is required to deliver support to partners throughout the implementation period of SNRL. This team needs to be able to: provide tailor-made and consistent technical, organizational and methodological advice to the operational partners (i.e. Member States’ coordinating structures and their stakeholders); Effectively coordinate the Action’s other modalities of support (e.g. short-term consultancies, grants) and ensure coherence between them; and efficiently, effectively and transparently administer SNRL resources. To ensure optimum support SNRL seeks a Programme Officer to support SNRL activities to build capacity of Member States partners at the level of individuals (through human resource development), organisations (through organisational development), the cooperation system (through networks) and the policy field (through frameworks). The ideal candidate will possess Legal and Policy Frameworks expertise to support Member states capacity to effectively domesticate, and monitor implementation of priority SADC Instruments.
- Coordinate SNRL activities and support implementation of activities at national level and liaise on operational matters with SNRLs respective partners in 2-3 designated SADC Member States;
- Support the development of model laws and guidelines to adapt existing regulatory frameworks to the requirements of SADC protocols, policies and strategies
- Analyse the needs for technical, methodological and organizational advice related to the enhancement of regional integration envisioned by the SADC protocols, policies and strategies and prepare and support implementation of change projects to address these needs;
- Provide technical and methodological advice to SNRL Member State partners in the development of legal and frameworks to the requirements of SADC Protocols, policies and strategies with particular emphasis to the field of agriculture, industrialisation and infrastructure;
- Facilitate the transfer of technical expertise on human rights, legal and policy frameworks for regional integration, and at the same time impart soft skills (e.g. coordination, moderation, advocacy, communication and negotiation techniques) to MS partners;
- Prepare, orient and accompany – with the involved partner organizations – short-term consultancies as well as local subsidy and financing agreements related to legal and policy framework alignment and implementation in the Member States, on SADC priority focus areas particularly agriculture, industrialisation and infrastructure within the scope of agreed change projects;
- Monitor together with the partner organizations the change processes and projects under his/her responsibility according to the guidelines and procedures established by the SNRL;
- Proactively cooperate and coordinate with other programmes of GIZ and other agencies/institutions to achieve effective collaboration;
- Contribute to the further development of the concept, strategies and organizational structure and procedures of SNRL and propose corrective measures to enhance the impact of SNRL;
- Contribute to the communication, visibility activities of SNRL to keep stakeholders informed on its activities, results and impacts; and
- Collaborate with other SNRL officers in the coordination of key activities and contribute to the exchange of experiences within the team for continuous learning and knowledge management.
- Master’s Degree in Law, International Relations, Political Science or related field. Additional relevant professional trainings and courses are an asset.
Skills and Experience
- 8 years of proven experience in relevant field working on issues related to the implementation of regional or international instruments in Africa particularly in the SADC region.
- Demonstrated ‘hands on’ results-based project development, management and monitoring experience in relevant field in the SADC region.
- Excellent understanding of the legal, political, economic and social dynamics in SADC with practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary regional integration and capacity development issues.
- Familiarity with the operations of SADC Member States structures and in-depth understanding of the technicalities and mechanisms pivotal to the strengthening of national structures in support of regional integration.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, especially in dealing with national governments, non-state actors and ICPs in the SADC region.
- Previous experience in the development and implementation of Change Projects as an approach to programme design and implementation is an advantage
- Familiarity with capacity development approaches to organisational development essential.
- Experience with GIZ technical cooperation approaches, support processes, and advisory instruments and services an asset.
- English proficiency is required. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese an advantage.
- Must be a national of SADC Member States
Applicants who apply should enclose current CV, certified copies of certificates, ID/Passport, and two traceable references.
Applications should be addressed to: The Human Resources Manager
P / Bag X12, Village
E-mail address : [email protected]
Closing date for application is 27th August 2020 at 17:00.
For further information please contact HR unit at 3957400
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted